Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Election Results


Jim Rice got robbed today - losing out in the latest Hall of Fame ballot by just 16 votes. 2009 is his last chance before being sent off to the Veterans Committee. For the record, he hit a lot of HR's, here he is hitting his 199th and 200th home runs at Fenway in 1988. Among his many career accomplishments, Rice batted .298 for his career, hit 382 home runs, and grappled with the Green Monster in left field day after day. In the late 70s he almost strung together three straight seasons with 40-plus homers. Plus, he wore a cooler mustache than just about anybody. Next year baseball writers must do the right thing.

4 comments:

Arun said...

Yeah but Jim Rice was a prick. But yeah, I guess he deserves it. Meantime----GOOSE!!!

Pink and Gold said...

Wow. You are so off base, especially as a Yankee fan - talk about a team full of assholes. Here's a bit from ESPN.com from earlier this week - Rice talks about his relationship with reporters during his career:

"They didn't have any trouble out of me. The trouble came when you wanted to talk about the team," Rice said. "That was my trouble: Do not come to the ballpark to find out all the negative stuff. I didn't have any trouble per se with the media, I had trouble because I didn't give them scoops.

"The question is, do you want a guy that could play, or do you want a guy that can give you stories?"

Good question Jim. I think he's talking to you Arun.

Arun said...

I never said Yankee Hall of Famers aren't pricks, too (Reggie Jackson, anyone?). I was just making an observation. And by the way, don't tell me you buy it when an ATHLETE complains about "coming to the ballpark to find out about all the negative stuff." Come on. Pro athletes think sports writers should be their flaks. That's like the Bush White House complaining the media just report the "bad things" about Iraq. Anyway, I believe Jim Rice probably DESERVES to be in the Hall. Just sometimes it takes a while or doesn't happen -- like with Goose Gossage (9th try); or Tommy John (288 wins) and Jim Kaat (283 wins, 16 Gold Gloves) who never made it.

Arun said...

One other thing -- I shouldn't have said he was a prick... I don't know that -- I guess I meant he had a bit of that REPUTATION... and it was a Red Sox fan who talked about that with me after the vote... I honestly didn't mean to offend.